Friday, July 22, 2011

Featured Artist Friday

Today we're going to talk to one of my favorite artists. Not only does she make amazing stuff, she's a great person as well. Her genre is Steampunk, which I have fallen head over heels in love with. Meg writes, "Steampunk is a sub genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy."

How did I meet Meg? By buying something from her amazing shop.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76051772/steampunk-silver-ox-filigree-honeycomb


In my talks with her, I've found out that she does all her own plating of the metals as well as all of the other special metal finishes you see in her shop. So, with no further ado....

Name: Megon, but my friends call me Megs <3
Business: Broken Wings®
Website(s): www.MegsBrokenWings.etsy.com
                         www.wix.com/megsbrokenwings/MBW
                         www.facebook.com/MegsBrokenWings


Tell us a little about yourself?  I'm turning 34 on July 23.  I have 2 beautiful baby girls (11 & newly 6) and an amazing husband of 13 years!  He's my lobster... 


What do you do? Currently, I'm a full-time law student.  Every moment I don't spend with school work, I spend with my daughters on their summer break!

Where do you get your inspiration? Through my jewelry, my biggest inspiration comes from my childhood struggles.  I love to imagine beautiful things and sharing those things with others.

Who has been one of your biggest influences? My husband, by far.  he has been my soul supporter, even when things looked impossible!  He stands by what I believe in and we live our lives through Jesus <3

Of everything you've made,do you have a favorite item? Which one, and why?  DAVID.  I have a picture of my father, the only one actually, that has the notorious oranges from the 70's.  I was heating brass one day and saw the same color scheme in the wings I was making that I knew were in the picture.  The first piece I made, of course, I kept for myself!   

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61190148/david-angel-rainbow-patina-wing-pendant

2 comments: