Thursday, June 9, 2011

Inspiration

I see lots of people who talk about being inspired by nature or architecture or music or whatever. And I always wonder if that's really the truth. My inspiration never comes from something so cool. I find beads and such that I like, then I make something that I think is pretty. Does this mean that I'm not really an artist? Does it make me less of a designer or artisan?

I don't think so. I think as long as the final product is something that is attractive to at least one person, that the purpose has been served. I think this is true of all forms of art. The old saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of beholder". I may not like everything everyone makes, but I appreciate the skill that goes into making any object.

I guess I got sidetracked away from talking about inspiration. What inspires you? Do you make items based on inspiration? Or do you just make what you think looks good?

No comments:

Post a Comment